Tharaka Nithi Senator Prof Kithure Kindiki skipped the Karen presser on Sunday, May 15 as DP William Ruto announced Mathira MP Rigathi Gachagua as his running mate.
DP Ruto the Mathira legislator as his deputy with Senator Kindiki posing stiff competition to the latter.
Addressing the press on Sunday, DP Ruto disclosed that Senator Kindiki came in second after Rigathi.
The DP recognized Prof Kindiki’s effort in the deputy race noting that he brought more than legal expertise but stated Rigathi ticked all the boxes they were looking for in a running mate.
“I want to very sincerely thank my lawyer, my friend Prof Abraham Kithure Kindiki who became the runners up in this contest. He is not here with us but brought a lot of experience, passion, and commitment to this race; and finally, in the end, the consensus pointed out to an individual who scored excellent points on every evaluative parameter,” Ruto stated.
DP Ruto described Gachagua as an astute debater and fearless fighter who understands people’s issues.
“Gachagua is my friend whom I have worked with, especially on that Bottom-Up Economic model and we started that journey together. He understands people’s issues, he is passionate about ordinary people,” Ruto said.
DP Ruto added: “We are nominating a Running Mate whose functions of as per Article 21 (E) of the Kenya Kwanza Coalition Agreement are as follows:
- Chair cabinet committees.
- Oversee the implementation of cabinet decisions. n
- Coordinate intergovernmental relations between the National government and the county government.
- Coordinate the learning and supervising the implementation of development partners funded programs and projects.
- Coordinate constitutional commissions and independent offices in matters that require the intervention of national government including but not limited to budgets and policy frameworks for the operation and;
- Perform any other function(s) that may be assigned by the president.
There are reports that Prof Kindiki has been promised the position of the Attorney General of Ruto clinches power. The Tharaka Nithi Senator promised to issue a statement on Monday, 16 May on his next step.